Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pushpi & Maharashtrians

Over six months ago, Pushpinder Singh asked me to find a writer who understands the "pride" of Maharashtrians, the Marathi "bana". Pushpi is like that. He knows Marathi culture as much as the life & times of the 10 Sikh Gurus.
I asked a few friends. All of them suggested Pravin Tokekar, a celebrated journo. I called Mr. Tokekar. A warm voice answered the phone. He knew of Pushpi & agreed to pop in at the Bandra office the next day. I was surprised that he agreed to drive down all the way from Thane on a sunday. Every script meeting was a combo of
fish, mutton, police canteen, purepur kolhapur, sayba, & suchlike.
The poetry that Pravin wrote for us turned into my favorite ad film. The client thanked me profusely for having made the film. There was no money made but everyone felt happy.
I was happier because I had a new found friend with the same likes & dislikes, a guy with whom i could converse with ease, someone who understood the circumstance of my mind.

Pravin had recited a story which had all of us rolling on the cheap carpet of the seedy motel we stayed in during the adfilm shoot. Six months hence, Pravin came today, prepared to embark on the script for the feature. A marathi film!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's always been my (unproven) theory - regional writing is the best writing in india today.
which TVC was this?
look forward to the marathi film - with subtitles of course!
shubho (21speed)